Case design


My original plan was still to use aluminium sheets for creating new front and back panels to the same old VCR case. However, I got familiar to 3D printing at my job and when the Prusa launched Prusa Mini 3D printer I decided that I will get one for my other hobbies. While waiting few months in the order queue for the printer I also started to think that maybe I could use the printer also in the Amiga project.

So I started to learn 3D modeling with Fusion 360. It has free plan for personal use and it seemed to be enough for this project. I started the modeling with the front panel frame. Idea was to figure out where to place DVD-drive and floppy drive so I could cut the aluminium plates exactly to correct measurements. After some thinking I realized that it would be much easier to actually create both panels with 3D printing.

Somehow I got so into 3D modeling that I ended modeling all the parts and many of them way too detailed :) But later it actually paid off as I could just check all the details from the model and use that for planning attach points for all the parts.

So I had every piece for the model ready and I could just create joints to plan the placement of the devices and then use the model again to plan needed supports for example for the drives and OLEDs. As can be seen from the image above the structure is such that drives are on the sides and between those is the Gotek and the displays. PSU is in the same position as before.

I retained the style of Yamaha AV-receivers from early 2000 and designed the front panel to match my RX-V757 that I had bought to my office room. As I was planning to integrate the Open Amiga Sampler to the case I thought that it would be good to have the input gain knob in the front and obviously Gotek's selector would be match for it. I couldn't find suitable knobs for those so I decided to design and print those too. I was going to have a CF card to replace the hard drive. First I was planning to have the CF card reader installed so that I could easily remove the CF card from the back panel. After some research I figured out that I could have two CF cards. Primary card inside the case and another one in the front panel for easy transfer of large amounts of data.

In the end this is what I came up with.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Amiga keyboard

History part 2 - First iteration