Changing caps and updating the hardware

It took some time but finally in autumn 2020 I got time to change the caps for the Amiga. I had ordered a capacitor kit from amigastore.eu a year earlier and in addition to that I also got then newly released AmigaOS 3.1.4.

I removed the old caps using two solder stations. I heated the capacitors' legs and my son took the caps out with tweezers. There was luckily no signs of any leakage so I could just clean the board with ipa and solder the new caps in place.

Caps removed
After testing that the machine booted ok I also changed the roms to the 3.1.4. 


I had started to think about upgrading my Amiga a bit more so I had also made couple new part orders, including EIDE'99, 68882 FPU for the Blizzard 1230-IV, laser upgrade for the mouse and new power connector from Amigastore.eu. In addition to those I got also SilverStone SST-ST30F 300W SFX PSU from Amazon and a Gotek drive from eBay. I wanted to make a new adapter to ATX->Amiga and used an ATX extension cable from eBay to build one. Once finished I tested it shortly with the new PSU and adapter seemed to work fine.

For Gotek I first ordered a 0,91" 128x32px OLED display and rotary encoder. When the OLED display arrived I noticed it had broken during the shipment because of poor packaging so I made a new order of two different sized 0,96" 128x64px and 1,54" 128x64px displays. I got an idea that maybe I could integrate the bigger OLED display to the Amiga case while using the smaller in the Gotek case.

I have done some Arduino development during last few years and started to think that maybe I got use one in the Amiga project. I had now and extra OLED display and also some infrared receivers. Maybe I could use both of those?

With some studying and testing I decided that this new OLED display would replace the leds in my Amiga and I could also make a remote controlled power and reset switches plus Gotek selector. Display could show icons for power, df0, df1 and hdd drives, network activity and so on.


I still wanted to have floppy disk in addition to Gotek so I went looking for the external disk drive controller that I though I had somewhere. But I couldn't find it anywhere, so I came into conclusion that might have sold it at some point.

So I needed to find a controller for the extra drive. What I found was Sakura-IT's AmiExtFDD. I made a custom version of the pcb for myself. One with possibility to chain new drive with DB23/DB25 and a form factor that allowed to be used in external casing also. While ordering pcbs I made also custom version of SukkoPera's OpenAmigaJoyMouseSwitcher. What I changed was another port for game controller (just direct connection) and a PS/2 port for Lyra keyboard adapter. Third pcb for that same order was Open Amiga Sampler.


Now I had pretty much the hardware that I was planning to use in my "ultimate" A1200. It was time to design how to get all that hardware into the case in nice looking way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Amiga keyboard

History part 2 - First iteration

Finished set (at least for now)